Monday, September 15, 2014

The Theory and (my) Practice of Hijab


It is my belief that as of the writing of this post, most of my readers are my friends and family.  Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining about that fact!  I love that you guys are reading my meandering thoughts.  But it seems to me that this then is the perfect platform to explain to all of you why I dress the way I do.  So here is the theory behind and how I practice hijab.  This post is mainly meant for non-Muslims, though I think it could be helpful for new Muslimahs as well, insh'Allah (as with all "unusual" words, see my 'Glossary' post for definitions).  I do plan for this blog to be a platform to show how I create my own modest clothes, so this post will explain the "rules" that I follow when designing them. 




I wear hijab.  I consider myself a hijabi.  Also known as al-muhajabah.  The meaning of these words is someone who dresses and acts in a modest fashion according to the teaching of Islam.  Notice my emphasis.  If you do not act in a modest fashion as well, your clothing means nothing!


Men have hijab, too.  For them it is more about their behavior and their inward thoughts and feelings.  "Say to the believing men that they should lower their gaze and guard their private parts; that will make for greater purity for them. Indeed Allah is well acquainted with all that they do." [Al-Qur'an 24:30]  For all of you that think that hijab is the burden of a woman to keep a man from straying in his thoughts, here is a wonderful hadith about men's hijab. 

Narrated Abdullah ibn Abbas (radi Allahu anhu): "Al-Fadl bin Abbas rode behind Allah's Messenger (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) as his companion rider on the back portion of his she-camel on the day of Nahr (slaughtering of sacrifice, 10th Dhul-Hijja) and Al-Fadl was a handsome man. The Prophet (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) stopped to give the people verdicts (regarding their matters). In the meantime, a beautiful woman from the tribe of Khatham came, asking the verdict of Allah's Messenger. Al-Fadl started looking at her as her beauty attracted him. The Prophet (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) looked behind while Al-Fadl was looking at her; so the Prophet (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) held out his hand backwards and caught the chin of Al-Fadl and turned his face (to the other side) in order that he should not gaze at her. She said, 'O Allah's Messenger! The obligation of performing Hajj enjoined by Allah on his worshippers has become due (compulsory) on my father who is an old man and who cannot sit firmly on the riding animal. Will it be sufficient that I perform Hajj on his behalf?' He said, 'Yes.'" [Sahih Bukhari]

Notice that the Prophet (pbuh) turned the man's face.  He did not tell the woman to cover herself or leave or even stop talking.  The burden was on the man.  He was responsible for his own thoughts and behavior.  Hijab is NOT intended for "saving" men from their uncontrolled thoughts by covering up every little sexy bit of a woman.  Hijab is about respecting ourselves and our bodies as more than sexual objects and putting our sexuality in it's proper place.  But even more than that, hijab is about following Allah's commands and showing the world that we are Muslim. 



Men's hijab:

  • Clothes should cover from navel to knee at all times except when alone, with wife, or when necessary for medical procedures.
  • A man should avoid unnecessary interactions (i.e. flirting, small talk) with women other than wife and relatives (wife, daughter, step-daughter, mother, grandmother, sister, daughter-in-law, stepmother, blood-related aunts, mother-in-law, granddaughters)
  • A man should avoid looking at women other than wife and relatives
  • A man should avoid thinking about women other than wife and relatives
  • A man should avoid unnecessary touching of women other than wife and relatives


Women's hijab:

  • When alone, with husband, or when necessary for medical procedures can be naked.
  • When with other women, she should be covered at least from navel to knee (though these days, women normally wear shirts with each other.  Breasts are allowed to be uncovered for breastfeeding.)
  • When with male relatives (father, grandfather, sons, brothers, sons-in-laws, nephews, blood-related uncles, father-in-law, stepfather, grandsons), she should be covered modestly.  Her hair/head, lower arms/hands, calves/feet may be uncovered.
  • When with males who are not relatives as stated above but are in a private setting, all is covered except face and hands.  Some scholars differ on the following areas: feet (I cover), face (I do not cover), underside of chin (I cover).  Clothing should also be loose as to not show the shape of the body and be opaque.
  • When in a public place, a jilbab should be worn.  Jilbabs come in many different styles depending on your culture.  But it should be a garment worn over your clothing.  It should be loose, opaque, and cover most of your clothing.  It is permissible (according to scholars I follow) for the jilbab to consist of a combination of garments, such as a coat and a headscarf, instead of just a single garment covering from the top of the head down. 
  • A woman should also avoid talking, touching, and thinking of men other than her husband or relatives.
Ya ayyuha an-Nabiyy qul li azwajika wa banatika wa nisa al-mu'minin yudnina alayhinna min jalabib hinna; dhalika adna an yu'rafna fa laa yu'dhayn. Wa kana Allahu Ghafur Rahim
O Prophet! Say to your wives and your daughters and the women of the faithful to draw their JALABIB close around them; that is better that they will be recognized and not annoyed. And God is ever Forgiving, Gentle.  
Quran, Surah al-Ahzab ayah 59 (33:59) 
Here is a link to an excellent article that examines all the rulings of hijab and gives evidences for them.

There are other recommendations about colors, jewelry, etc.  Mainly, we are forbidden from wearing anything that makes us seem better than other people and we should not try to attract attention to ourselves.  To everyone this means something different.  Some only wear black without any added ornaments or jewelry.  In Indonesia pastels are thought to be the best colors for women.  In this area of hijab fashion, it is more up to individual/cultural tastes.  My personal tastes go towards some bright colors, but used in simple ways.  I prefer solids and less often wear prints.  If I wear prints, it is normally my scarf not any other clothing.  As for jewelry that normally can be seen, occasionally I add a special hijab pin, otherwise bracelets are all I normally wear.  I don't like much bling.  

I am just beginning to wear a jilbab all the time.  I only recently learned of this requirement.  Previously I thought that only modest clothing was good enough.  I have also altered what I think "modest clothing" is now.  I used to wear clothes that simply covered my body, but now I also wear loose clothes that do not reveal the shape of it as well.  

Hijab is a journey if you were not brought up wearing it.  It is hard to give up long held beliefs and traditions with something so important as clothing.  Some sisters, mashAllah, are able to jump from skimpy Western clothes right into fully covering, including niqab (the face veil).  But for most of us, it takes years to learn how to cover in a way that obeys Allah's commands and yet makes us feel comfortable, safe, and beautiful.  (See my post on Resetting the Frumpy Muslim Mindset for a discussion on this journey.)


My favorite style is a ankle or calf length abaya (like a dress) or simple coat style jilbab over loose pants.  Sometimes I wear a maxi skirt instead, but still over leggings or pants.  If I plan to take my jilbab off, I wear a loose, long sleeve tunic shirt that is at least thigh length.  If I won't be taking off my jilbab and it is warmer weather, I may only wear a tank top underneath.  Always shoes and socks (I don't care for sandals normally).  And a headscarf.  My favorite are very large (50-60") squares in solid colors or simple floral prints.  In the summer I have ones of very light materials and can actually feel the breeze on the back of my neck.  As I am sensitive to the sun anyway, covering doesn't usually bother me in the summer as long as the material of my clothes is light and airy (but not see-through).  In the winter I am often cold and appreciate the extra layers.

I think my new favorite style of jilbab is going to be the French jilbab.  It is actually originally a Algerian style that spread from there.  But it is very popular with teens in France, thus the name.  It is an overhead garment, meaning it is a garment that covers your body and your head all in one.  I have been fascinated by them for some time and have considered buying one.  But I decided instead to make one!  Pretty risky since I have never actually seen one in real life, but it is turning out well so far, insh'Allah.  I just have to finish the sleeves and hem it and I will have my first French jilbab!  I am pretty excited!  Plus, I will be posting a tutorial on making your own!  (Here is the link to the tutorial: DIY: How to sew a French Jilbab.)  It is really quite easy, especially if you have some sewing experience.  If you wish to learn more about them, check out this set of blog posts by Old School Hijabi.  She is THE expert on French jilbabs and I learned most of what I know from her!

This is a 2 piece French jilbab from http://www.almoultazimoun.com/en/  The one I am making will be longer, about calf length.  But it is almost this same color. 

I love reading other hijab fashion blogs.  I don't really intend for this blog to be like them, though.  For one thing, I don't consider myself all that fashionable!  Instead, I intend to share DIY ideas/tutorials for expanding your hijabi wardrobe.   And have it be a place for plus-sized sisters to get ideas and tips.  As well as recipes, other crafts, my jewelry creations, etc.  Posts I have planned (insh'Allah):


  • French jilbab DIY
  • More recipes
  • Learning to bake bread Albanian style
  • From abaya to tunic: refashioning clothes you're bored with DIY
  • From abaya to jilbab DIY
  • Turkish oya with DIY
  • Amal bracelets
  • Buying scarves on eBay
  • Kosovar crochet
  • Dhikr bracelet DIY
  • No sew arm covers DIY
  • Lengthening clothing for modesty DIY
  • Repainting hijab pins DIY



And that is only about half of the ideas I have!  Insh'Allah this will turn out to be a great blog.  :)  Please leave comments letting me know what you think so far and what you'd like to see in the future, insh'Allah.

Also, all of my thoughts here are my own and my own research.  Any mistakes are mine.  Allah knows best.

3 comments:

  1. Great work! That is the kind of info that should be shared across the
    web. Shame on Google for now not positioning this publish higher!
    Come on over and consult with my website . Thank you =)

    Feel free to visit my website; Mokamula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alhamdullilah. Thank you so much! I will check out your website.

      Delete
  2. Ma sha Allah amazing post so detailed ukhty!!

    ReplyDelete

Let's strengthen the umma. Please leave a comment... question... thought... and lets have a conversation!