Thursday, July 23, 2015

Why do we wear hijab?

I am in a number of Facebook groups for Muslim women.  And we discuss a broad range of issues.  And sometimes we talk about hijab.  Recently a woman in one of the groups made two separate comments that has me thinking. Why do we wear hijab?    


Awhile ago I gave up wearing hijab for 3 months.  And I don't mean just giving up the headscarf.  I gave up Muslim clothing.  I still didn't dress like most American woman (I believed strongly in modesty long before I became Muslim), but I had friends that saw the shape of my ankles for the first time in our relationship.

I gave it up because I realized I didn't know why I was wearing it.  When people asked me, I had canned lines from Muslim websites and memes I could regurgitate.  But none of them rang true in my heart.  

Sappy examples comparing women to objects such as lollipops, candy, pearls in oysters, and the moon.  The idea that precious things are wrapped, covered, hidden.  Not on display for anyone to ogle.

This image is from a blog that has a nice post on exactly what I am talking about.  

I do believe that our bodies are precious and given to us by Allah.  But women are human beings.  Not objects, even valuable ones.  Modesty shows that we have respect for ourselves.  It is not a method of hiding women from the scary world.

And in Western culture you can be modest without dressing like a Muslimah.  A below knee length skirt and a long sleeve blouse accomplish the same goal as an abaya.  Both send the message that you respect yourself and do not share yourself with just anyone.  

If, in my culture, I can dress as a Westerner modestly and send the same message, why do I need to go through the trouble of wearing a jilbab (outer garment) and head scarf?  (see this past post of mine to learn about jilbab)  What exactly does a headscarf and jilbab do for me that modest Western dress cannot?

I have been told multiple times (always by men) that hijab is my protection.  Protection from being harassed.  Are they kidding me?  I don't mean to be rude but this isn't really true.   Yes, dressing modestly can often save you from cat calls and sexual harassment.  To most men (of course there are always jerks who don't get the hint or actually like bothering girls who say NO), a modest outfit tells them that a woman is off limits.  But as I showed before, in America, a modest outfit need not only be Muslim dress.

This is an excellent video that shows how women are looked at on the street by men when they are not dressed modestly.  

But there is another form of harassment that is very common in America for a woman dressed as a Muslimah.  It is based on religious prejudice and bigotry.  It is often levied at women because they are assumed to be an easier target as well as the fact that they are more easily identifiable as a Muslim due to the clothing they wear.  

I am more harassed dressed as a Muslimah then I ever was as a modestly dressed Westerner.  Everywhere I go, I get stared at, gawked at, I even have rude comments made to me.  Last week driving to the masjid, two men in separate trucks rudely stared at me.  Honestly, I barely noticed as I am so used to it.  But my husband was quite upset and worried about me.  And many women have it much worse.  My wearing Islamic clothing puts me at a greater danger in America.  It does not protect me.

But I am not looking for protection.  I am not hoping to hide in the shadows in safety.  After a lot of study, reflection, and prayer I realized why we wear hijab.  Why we go above and beyond the Western idea of modesty.  Why we even risk our lives wearing such clothing, and in some countries break the law.  There is only one reason.

To show that we are Muslim.

That is the most compelling reason.  When I put on the scarf and a jilbab, I am telling the world that I believe in Allah swt and His prophet Muhammad (saws).  

Ya ayyuha an-Nabiyy qul li azwajika wa banatika wa nisa al-mu'minin yudnina alayhinna min jalabib hinna; dhalika adna an yu'rafna fa laa yu'dhayn. Wa kana Allahu Ghafur Rahim

O Prophet! Say to your wives and your daughters and the women of the faithful to draw their JALABIB close around them; that is better that they will be recognized and not annoyed. And God is ever Forgiving, Gentle.  
Quran, Surah al-Ahzab ayah 59 (33:59) 

In that three months that I gave up wearing hijab, I kept up my other obligations as a Muslim.  I even fasted part of Ramadan dressed as a modest Westerner.  I kidded myself that my clothes didn't matter as long as I was still modestly dressed and covered.  I still kept all covered other than my head/hair/neck and my shape.  I was still more modestly dressed than many modestly dressed people.  I told myself I didn't need a headscarf to be a Muslim.  I had fun doing my hair and wearing make-up and feeling pretty.

And then I went on a short vacation to our state capitol.  We walked downtown to a farmer's market that is held weekly right at the base of the capitol building itself.  On some steps leading to the building was a protest in support of Palestine.  I was excited to see other Muslims!  I live in a small town where we are one of only two Muslim families.  And even we I go to the larger nearby city to shop, I rarely run into other Muslims.  So to see so many, I was elated!

They were ending their protest and all came walking right by us.  I said "Asalaam alikum" to a lovely, young sister wearing hijab.  I got no response.  

In her defense, I don't think she could hear me.  The crowd was quite loud.  And, in her defense, why should she ever expect a greeting from me?  There was no reason to ever believe I was Muslim.  I certainly wasn't dressed like one.  I learned a valuable lesson from that little heartbreak (and it was heartbreak as I so rarely get to greet other Muslims.)

Clothing is a language.  We communicate through it who we are and what we believe and many other subtle details.    As Muslims, our clothing tells the world in whom and what we believe.  We are standing up for our beliefs, our way of life, the Quran, and Allah swt.  We are telling the world that a woman can be Muslim and dress like this and still be a doctor, a secretary, a mother, a teacher, a writer, a person who rejects violence and injustice in the world.  That we need not be thought of as oppressed.  That we are every bit as capable, loved, encouraged, and valued as Western women.

But more importantly, it tells other Muslims who and where we are.  In much of the world, we are the majority.  But not in America.  We need to know each other.  We need to identify.  We need to create communities for support.  We need to be able to greet each other as Allah (swt) in the Quran and the Prophet Muhammad (saws) have taught us.

"And when you are greeted with a greeting, greet in return with what is better than it, or (at least) return it equally."
(Qur'an, An-Nisa 4:86)


"You will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another: 'spread salaam' (the greeting of peace) among you." (Muslim)

Our religion is a beautiful one.  It teaches us how to live the best possible life.  One of the most important aspects of our faith is community.  People are meant to live together and Islam is a religion that is meant to be shared.  The first way to have a strong, vibrant community is to clearly be able to identify each other.  I hear/read everyday the tales of converts who are lonely and without community.  Being able to recognize each other is the first step in creating a widespread American Muslim community.  

I believe that Allah provided women with hijab for precisely this reason.  Community starts in the home, with the mother.  I challenge every Muslimah to think of herself as a mother to the Ummah.  Wear your hijab proud and use it to increase the visibility of our Muslim community.  Show people what a real Muslim woman is like, not the lies that Fox News would have people believe about us.  And show other Muslims that you exist.  That we are 1/3 of the Earth's population.  That we are many and that we are strong.  Let us stand tall, wearing our scarves and jilbabs, recognizing each other and strengthening the ummah, insh'Allah, for the glory of Allah swt.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's strengthen the umma. Please leave a comment... question... thought... and lets have a conversation!