Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Kufi, Kapuç, Hat


Kufi
(AKA Kapuç pronounced kah-pooch)
(AKA Hat)

Finally, an artsy fartsy type post!  Though I guess cooking is still very creative.  Anyway, here are two kufis I made, one for Sadik and one for Blenard.  Blenard is the grandson of some very good friends of ours.  They are originally from Kosovo as well and came here at the same time that Sadik did.  Blenard is the first generation in this family that has been born in America.  He was very proud of his new kufi!  He likes to go to the Xhamia (the Albanian word for the Mosque) with his grandparents.



A kufi is a beanie style hat that Muslim men wear.  Some wear one all the time to show that they are Muslim.  Others choose to only wear them to the Xhamia .  Some don't wear one at all.  It is more of a Muslim cultural thing than a requirement, though covering your head does show your respect for God.


The style of a kufi is open to interpretation.  Most are crocheted, but they can also be knit or sewn.  Sewn ones with beautiful embroidery are common in hotter climates like Africa.  They can be the beanie style or there is a flat topped style that I have no idea what it is called.  The color and shape are usually cultural.  In America the white crocheted ones seem to be the most popular.  They are also the easiest to make (and therefore the cheapest to buy.)



Below are some pictures I borrowed from the web to illustrate different styles.




The first kufi I made Sadik was from a natural colored #10 crochet cotton.  It was knit and followed this pattern.    When I got to the right diameter for his head, I stopped increasing, making it curve.  Worked perfectly.  Unfortunately it has been since lost and and so were the pictures.  So sad.  It was nice.

The second was knit from worsted wool.  It is the flat topped style. Here is the pattern.  Unfortunately for this one, it is too big for him.  Mostly because he doesn't really have hair, LOL!  Otherwise, I think it turned out beautifully. 

The third is a natural colored crocheted version.  Here is the pattern.  I used a fingering weight wool.  Blenard's is the same pattern, only a bit smaller though I did make it a bit big for him so he can grow into it.  His is a fingering weight white cotton.  I used a D hook for both.
Sadik's





Blenard's

Sorry I don't have a better pic of him wearing it.  
It is hard enough to make an 8 year old pose for one shot!

This is the pattern I plan to use next.  (See pics here.)  It is a nice knit version.  I also hope to create my own crocheted pattern in the future, insh'Allah.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's strengthen the umma. Please leave a comment... question... thought... and lets have a conversation!