Thursday, August 14, 2014

Asalaam alikum, Mirëseerdhët, Welcome!



Asalaam alikum, Mirëseerdhët, Welcome!

As this is my first post, I will do the perfunctory "getting to know me and my blog" stuff.  




My name is Heather.  I am 41 years old.  I live in a small town in NorthEastern Wisconsin. My day job is as a church secretary for a UCC church.  I love my job, but I do not go to church there.  Actually, about 11 years ago I converted to be Muslim.  Soon I will be getting   (I am as of January 3, 2015!!!) married to a man originally from Kosovo, who is Muslim as well.  He is an ethnic Albanian and speaks Albanian.  Learning his language and culture has become a huge focus of my life, which is why there are Albanian words used here as well.

Sadik, the fiancé husband

The intent of this blog is varied.  I wish to use it as a place to post my ideas and how-to's.  Tutorials and the like.  I also will have essays about my life or things that are important to me.  I will be posting items I have for sale.  Mostly treasures I find and wish to resell, but sometimes things I make myself.  Knitted, crocheted, embroidered, painted, dyed, etc.!  I am also a trained fine jeweler and plan to post pics of my work, perhaps items for sale.  I have had my own small business for about 16 years, but the last few years I had really taken a break from it.  Now seems like the time to get back to work.

I am very interested in Islam, Albanian culture and cooking, sewing, knitting, crocheting, jewelry making (fine and fun), hand embroidery, hijabi fashion, small business, gardening, preserving, and general philosophical stuff.

I have been considering this blog for a long time and now seems like the time to dive in.  I hope you find a lot to keep you interested and coming back.  Here are a list of tags I intend to post about, so you can have an idea about what I have planned.

Islam, hijab, Albanian culture, Albanian cooking, knitting, crocheting, sewing, jewelry tutorials, hand embroidery, small business, gardening, preserving, general cooking, general rants, my art, deep thoughts, and more!!!

And because a blog called "artsy fartsy" wouldn't be complete without some art, here are a few pics of stuff I have made.

My sweetheart bookmark (crocheted).  Link to free Ravelry pattern.

A men's cast ring I made.

Please look for me on Ravelry (AFMuslimah).  I will be posting links for facebook and twitter soon.  I am also working on a storenvy site, which will, insh'Allah, be up soon.

Thanks for reading!  Salaam!  Mirupafshim!  Bye!

P.S. I am planning, insh'Allah, that my next post will be a glossary so you can keep track of and understand all these new words I am using!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's strengthen the umma. Please leave a comment... question... thought... and lets have a conversation!