Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Refashion: Boring shrug robe to fun jilbab!


This is a shrug robe from East Essence.  It is made from a knit fabric.  It costs $19.99.  A good deal.  Right?



I thought so too.  But when I got it, I just wasn't excited by it.  Unfortunately I get that a lot with the clothes from East Essence.  Many of their designs are just not... there.  BUT, their prices are so I can tweak them and add that extra flair!

As I have recently started always wearing a jilbab when going out in public (see my post on hijab to know why and what a jilbab is), I have really needed more of them!

This shrug did the job required of a jilbab if I pinned the front closed.  But I still didn't like the all black.  For an entire year after my late husband passed I wore ALL black and I just can't stomach that much black anymore.  It puts me right back into that grief mindset.

You wouldn't think you would feel all covered in black in this shrug by looking at the picture, but when you pin the front shut and it covers you shoulders to ankles, you are covered in black!

First I needed a new way to close it.  Pinning it was ruining the fabric and was a hassle.  A few times the pin had come open and caused me some embarrassment not to mention pain.

So at Walmart I found these giant snaps.  I think they are fun and perfect for this!


They look just like this and are as big as a quarter!


But I still wanted to liven it up somehow and add some color.  Hmmm...

When I found the snaps I looked at the ribbons.  And there was a pretty satin rainbow diagonal stripe.  

After some consideration I decided to go for it.  Now, this was not a project for a beginner.  And though I don't consider myself a beginning sewer, I am close to it when it comes to sewing knits.  Knits are a whole different ballgame.

I pinned the ribbon to the inner edge of the shrug; from the bottom edge on one side, up to the neck and then down the other side.  

I sewed the ribbon on the edge not on the outer edge first (see pic below), which I DO NOT recommend!  The ribbon and the fabric of the shrug would have been much easier to handle if I had started on the outside edge first.


Then I sewed the snap on at waist level.  The nice thing about this shrug is that when it is closed by just one pin or snap at waist level, it actually stays shut well all the way down.  There is extra fabric that overlaps and keeps it closed.  



I wouldn't recommend wearing anything tight or revealing underneath on the bottom.  I only wear full skirts or loose pants, so I don't worry.

So now I have a new jilbab and a fun one at that!







3 comments:

  1. I LOVE that idea!!!!! I had no idea one of their shrugs would look sooo cute with a bit of colorful ribbon and snaps! Oooh, I will definetly try that! Great idea sis!!! MashAllah...keep up the fab work!!! Mind if I post this on my OSH FB page?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Of course you can share it!!! I appreciate you doing so.

      Delete

Let's strengthen the umma. Please leave a comment... question... thought... and lets have a conversation!