Wednesday, July 1, 2015

My Favorite Plus Sized Muslim Online Clothing Sources

I am going to do what women rarely do... share my favorite shopping sources with you all.  Plus sized shopping is hard for Muslimahs.  I don't really understand why, since it seems so many of us are a bit more generous sized.  We (Muslims) should have a culture that promotes respect of our bodies and not trying to fit into today's beauty standards.  My only guess is that many Muslim clothing companies are in countries where better eating and more exercise are more prevalent than in the US, so even as a woman ages and gets "fuller" she is still quite thin compared to many of her American counterparts.  But some are realizing that the US is a big market (no pun intended) and are starting to offer a larger range of sizes.





DISCLAIMER:  Not all of the following business have I purchased from or done business with or had any contact with at all.  And even if I have and give them a good recommendation, that does not mean your experience will be the same as mine.  This list does not recommend or promise a good shopping experience and I am in no way responsible if you have complications or are unhappy.  That being said, here is a list of some tips for ordering online, specifically with foreign, Islamic clothing sites.  (If you have more tips, please add them in the comments section!)

1.  Always look for a size chart with the measurements for their sizes.  Sizes are not standard, even in the US.  A company can make a size any measurement they want.  Know your personal measurements and look for the actual measurements not just the size.  Here is a good tutorial on how to take your measurements.  Just last week I was looking at a site and saw that their 8X fit an American size 18!!!  I would have bought my normal size and been severely disappointed had I not checked their measurement chart.

2.  Once you find their measurement chart and confirm that their sizes fit you, always size up.  Our clothing is also supposed to conceal our shape, so it shouldn't be tight.  I normally go up a size.  But if you want to be sure, adding 2-3 inches on to your measurements for your bust and hips should be plenty of extra room.

3.  Also know the length you need.  Since Muslim clothing is often supposed to be longer length, the right length can be critical.  Some companies will go by your height, having designed the abaya/jilbab/etc. to hit you at a certain point, such as ankle length.  Other times they will just tell you the length and if it isn't long enough (or too long), oh well.  The best are when you can choose the length.  Then you can decide if you want that garment to be calf length, ankle length or floor length.  So know your measurements for each length of a garment length you like.  Again, go to this link for help in about getting your own measurements.

4.  Google Translate is your friend.  There is a whole world of foreign sites that you can buy from.  But often their websites are not in English.  But that shouldn't stop you.  Just cut and paste yourself to understanding on Google Translate.  Keep in mind that foreign companies need to be able to process your payment and ship your order to you.  Not all companies are able to do this.  Look for companies able to take PayPal or bank transfers.

5.  Be prepared to pay for shipping.  This is the hardest part of online shopping.  Make sure you check the shipping costs before you approve the purchase.  What is too expensive for shipping is really up to you.  If I really love something and haven't been able to find it anywhere else, I will be willing to pay more for shipping.  But if what you want is found on a couple of sites and this is the cheapest, make sure it really is the cheapest when you add in shipping.  Don't be afraid of using plain old United States Postal Service.  I have been buying online for over 15 years and have never had problems with them.

6.  Don't stick to just businesses that have their own websites.  eBay, Etsy, and Amazon are all good places to find smaller retailers, especially custom seamstresses.  Be open to them, but be careful.  First thing to watch for is larger retailers offering their stuff on Amazon or eBay or Etsy at inflated prices.  Always look at who the seller of an item is and if they have a website.  Check the website to compare prices.  Of course, sometimes they offer items at a reduced rate or items they are not offering any more on their site.  Then you know you are getting a deal!

7.  Do research.  Ask around.  Read blogs that do reviews.  Google the company.  Look at their Facebook page.  If you are shopping on Etsy or eBay make sure you read the feedback and check their rating.  Read the reviews on Amazon.  If there are more negative comments than positive, stay away.

8.  When buying from a retailer for the first time, only order one thing or a small dollar amount.  That way if you are disappointed by their service, quality, packing, anything, you are not out a lot of money.

9.  Do not be afraid to talk to the customer service representatives.  They are there to help and make sure you are happy with your order.  They know their products and can help answer any questions you have about them.  If you have any reservations about ordering, you will probably feel better after talking to them.  Or maybe you won't and then you will feel better that you didn't order after all.

10.  Yes, there are horror stories out there of orders not showing up, getting the wrong items, not being able to get a hold of the company to resolve problems.  Remember that those are often isolated incidents or companies that you would know to avoid if you do a little research.  Refer to points 7 and 8 to reduce your risk.


Now on to the shopping!

Note:  I did not consider going up to size XL to be Plus Sized.  There are plenty of sites like that.  I am looking for 2X and up according to the measurements on the chart below.  Read carefully and pay attention to measurements NOT to sizes!!!





Custom made Clothing:


By "custom" I mean companies where you give them you measurements and your garment is made to order.  You should expect longer delivery times for these companies as they need time to make your clothing as well as expedite your order and ship it.

Overgarments.com:  This site does custom made over garments in the abaya style.  Give them your measurements and choose your color(s) and you will get your own unique garment.  I have never purchased from her, but have read many good reviews on Facebook.  She has great prices and often has even better deals!

jilbabcity: A seamstress from Houston, Texas who sells her overstock on eBay.  I have purchased 3 garments from her.  All were very well made and of good quality fabric.  

Love Unspoken:  Traditional styles with unique details.  Custom made.  You pick the fabric, color, and measurements.  

East Essence:  I have bought from this company more than a few times.  I have pieces of their I love and others that are just OK.  I have read that they have greatly improved their koshibo fabric, which I never cared for.  I would recommend them, but remember that you get what you pay for.  They are not the highest quality, but are a good choice for the Muslimah on a tight budget.

Islamic Attire

My Batua:  This company is very similar to East Essence but a little more expensive and a little higher quality.  Some of their things are too expensive, in my opinion.  I have purchased from them.  Only one of the pieces (out of seven) was I really happy with.  This was from a design standpoint and a matter of fit.  Their items tend to be slimmer through the hips and I needed them a bit roomier without being baggy in the bust.  For this reason, I don't know that I would buy from them again.  But their quality was good.

Online Abaya: Be careful of their sizing and check the measurements.  They run smaller than you would think.

Ready to Wear:

Modanisa:  A Turkish company specializing in Turkish styles.  You can get their website in English.  Look for the symbol on the top to change the language if you need to.  They accept Visa, Mastercard, and PayPal for foreign payments.  I have read a good review of them on Old School Hijabi's blog, but I have never purchased from them myself.  The one problem I have with the site is they do not give the measurements for the sizes.  They do tell you the measurements and size the model is wearing, which is very helpful.  But they do not give the measurements for the other sizes.  They use the more common Middle Eastern sizing system which is the size of the bust.  Not real helpful if your hips are bigger.

Al-mujalbaba   I have never purchased from them but have read fantastic reviews.  They are a US (New York City) based business.  Abayas and large square scarves are their specialty.  They have a fun, youthful, urban style and most of their stuff is nursing friendly.  And before you think I am wrong about adding them to this list, look at their measurement chart.  Their XL equals a US 24/26/28.  And in the description they give the actual measurements.

Al Hannah: A website with  long established reputation.  I have ordered from them in the past and have been very happy.  I know of others with the same experience.  They import much of their clothing from Jordan, Pakistan, and Saudi Arabia.  They recently redid their website and now it is easier to use.

Plus Size Muslimah:  A lovely site and a lovely company.  I have a longer review in this post.  I have purchased from them and plan to again in the near future.  Excellent quality.

Shukr: I have never purchased from them, though I have always heard wonderful things about them.  What I have heard is that though they may seem expensive, their clothes are worth every penny.

Artizara

AlSundus

AlSharifa: Some of their caftans go up to a size 20.  

French Jilbab:

French jilbabs are an over-the-head garment that is perfect for plus sized Muslimahs.  They are sized by your height because they are so voluminous they will fit nearly any size. The only exception to that is the two piece ones because the waistband of the bottom skirt or sarouel pants is normally meant to fit a smaller sized waist.  But the top piece will still fit.  

To learn more about French jilbabs, check out my post about sewing your own.  It is quite easy!  But if you don't sew, the following companies sell beautiful ones. 

Jilbab London

Tasmin Collections

Bismillah Boutique:  I have never actually purchased from this company, so I cannot speak to their customer service.  But I do have one of their French jilbabs.  I got it in a trade with a friend.  I like it a lot.  It is excellent quality.  Too good in fact.  The elastic on the sleeves is a bit tight for me to comfortably push them up to wear under a jacket.  I wanted to remove it, but it is actually sewn in place.  I also had to pick out stitches and resew the edges of the face hole so my face would fit.  Other than those two issues, the fabric is beautiful, it is very well made, and it is comfortable to wear.

Nabira  I have ordered from this site a couple of times.  I have always been pleased.  My order came very fast.  Usually less than a week.  All the way from France!  Their prices are extremely reasonable and yet their quality is good.  They have a nice selection of French jilbabs, but I actually have only purchased other garments from them, which I love and wear all the time.

Al Moultazimoun:  Fashion forward designs.  Beautiful colors.  Very feminine.

Akhawat



Do you have a favorite plus size Islamic shopping source I didn't mention?  Or comments on the ones I did?  Please share below so we can help each other.



Thank you to ashleyelladesign for the above stock photos.







3 comments:

  1. I love the new page design! Your hand-dyed scarves are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article.
    العبايات

    ReplyDelete

  3. Well, it’s a nice one, I have been looking for. Thanks for sharing such informative stuff.bed sheet

    ReplyDelete

Let's strengthen the umma. Please leave a comment... question... thought... and lets have a conversation!