Sunday, September 6, 2015

Capsule Wardrobes for Muslimahs Part 1


These days it is so easy to build up a large collection of clothes.  Often we have more than we even wear.  So many abayas cluttering up our closets, our storage areas, our homes, our lives.  We keep that French jilbab for sentimental reasons.  The manteau we hope to fit into again one day.  The shalwar kameez that is so cute, but never fit our lifestyle. 




Eventually comes a strong longing for simplicity.  We realize that we don't need to own so much.   That the Earth's resources are finite and by having too much we are keeping some of these resources from others in the world.

Owning too much encumbers us.  Our lives.  Our souls.  It makes us clumsy and inefficient.  How much time is wasted looking for items?  How many times do we purchase something to find at home that we forgot we already had something that is nearly the same?

There is a movement that people are talking about.  Capsule wardrobe.  The idea is not new.  But it certainly is a good one.

The way it works is to have a limited number of garments of each type (pants, blouse, etc.) and have each of them be interchangeable creating a whole wardrobe of outfits without any of those wasteful garments we all own that don't really match much else.

Sounds great, right?  But how does this translate into a Muslimah's wardrobe?  (Please see my post on the requirements of hijab to know the exact parameters of our dress if you are unfamiliar.)  But in short, I am talking about wearing a jilbab (an outer garment) with a head covering (which may or may not be part of the jilbab) and clothing underneath.

So there are three categories of clothing needed:


  1. Outer clothing worn in public (Jilbab)
  2. Outer clothing worn in private but when non-maharem men are present
  3. Under clothing worn in private in front of family or under the jilbab (not underwear)

1. Outer clothing worn in public

This is the jilbab and a head covering.  There are certain styles of jilbab that have an attached head covering and those where each is separate.  Which is acceptable to you is according to the scholars you follow.  Most allow for them to be separate as long as the same goal is achieved (covering of everything except the hands and face), but some prefer it all to be one piece.

At the very least a jilbab needs to be one garment that covers you from the shoulders to the feet with a head/neck covering also worn.  Everything must be covered except the hands and the face.  It should not be tight as to reveal your shape.  And it should be opaque.  If it is not one garment, it may be comprised of multiple garments as long as it still accomplishes the same requirements (though a few scholars disagree with this).

There are as many styles of jilbabs as there are Muslim cultures in the world.  Not all are easily available in America.  Not all are practical for Western life.

2. Clothing worn in private but when non-maharem men are present

When you are not in public, you are not required to wear a jilbab.  But if you are in front of men you can marry (see this post for the list of who these are), you still need to be covered.  That means the following choices (though this is not an exhaustive list):

1. a head scarf and an abaya or loose dress which covers all except your hands and face.
2. a head scarf and a tunic shirt and very loose pants or skirt (again covering all but hands and face.)
3. a long khimar, french jilbab, or chador worn over loose pants or skirt

Really anything goes here as long as you are still covered and it is loose.  This is where salwar kameez are perfect!

3. Under clothing worn in private in front of family (not underwear)

Under your jilbab you should wear more clothing than just panties and a bra and maybe a slip.  You need to wear real clothes you would wear around your husband, kids, or female friends. 

It is clear from the Quran that a jilbab is to be worn over your clothes when you go out.  So that means you should be wearing clothes at home before you pull your jilbab on, right?  I don't think there are many women who walk around naked or in their underwear at home in front of their family.

This is the group of clothing I have had the hardest time understanding.  I have come to the conclusion through study that it needs to be more than underwear, as I just stated.  But how much more?  Here some people differ.

If I will sit around the house watching TV or cleaning or talking to my Mom in it, that is what I will wear under my jilbab.  

So in the summer I will wear a tank top or t-shirt and loose pants (I rarely wear a skirt since I wear long jilbabs and my pants are loose legged).  In the winter I dress warmer: long sleeves, turtlenecks.

So those are the main categories of clothing needed for a Muslimah.  In Part 2 of this article I will discuss the different clothing styles that are common for Muslims.

Until then, my homework for you is to think about your life and your activities.  How you spend your time determines what kinds of clothes your need and wear.  A young professional will need much different clothing than a mother of four.  Be honest about your needs as well as the style that makes you comfortable.  Building a Capsule wardrobe is mostly about being honest about yourself and your needs and not buying items that feed into a fantasy. 

***************
What items of Muslim clothing have you found you love and feel the most comfortable in?  Please share in the comments.



1 comment:

  1. Thanks to those who has been sharing exulting reviews about Dr. Mack. Their reviews helped me resolve my relationship issues. I’m so excited to also share mine. My lover, our friends and families are all happy for my brave work to get him back. Since after the spell, we’ve excelled beyond measure. 9 months after breakup, my ex was still hunting me inside even when I moved on 2 months after. I couldn’t get him off my mind. I decided one day to look over Facebook to see his face again. I was wounded inside again after seeing how gorgeous and happy he was. I’ve always know he’s my soul mate before the issues that caused our breakup. We do better together because we motive each other. The reviews I carefully read about Dr. Mack gave me great hope and assurance that it’s not too late to get back my soul mate. dr.Mack proved to me after the love spell that the reviews about him and his spell are correct after bringing back my Hero within 4 days of powerful spell work. You might be the next person to share some exulting reviews or stay anonymous if you like after contacting Dr. Mack for his genuine love spell via dr_mack@yahoo.com. WhatsApp +1 (305) 928 6455 ~Abby =)~Abby =)



    ReplyDelete

Let's strengthen the umma. Please leave a comment... question... thought... and lets have a conversation!